Thursday, October 29, 2015

The MFJ 1788 is on the air and a contact in log!

Not the best shot but it's an evening shot
I was able to get the loop on the air today after work and I was very much wanting to see if it was actually working on the air.........testing it and putting it on the air can be a whole different kettle of fish. I am happy to say the antenna works just fine if not better. It seems to tune to a better SWR and seems more smooth at arriving at a low SWR. In the past it seemed to have a very sharp tuning curve and if you did not pay attention the sweet spot was gone. So the bands were decent sounding well were I was on 30m that is. I called CQ and I had a come back from VE3HEU! Not exactly DX but it's a contact and from what I have been reading the bands at times have been rough shape......HI HI. Vic was so close we could had met for coffee in the local Starbucks for goodness sake.  He is a fellow condo ham that was using a mobile whip antenna and at 10 floors up using approx 90 watts. I am not that bold and my power is at a steady 5 watts as I don't want to have a knock at my door. This gave me a great opportunity some CW practice and boy when you don't use it for some time you really  have to think about what you are sending. It felt really great to get on the radio again as it has been go go go  here with work, out of town guests and just plan old stuff around the house that has to be done. I think I may stick with 30m's as it seems to be very much alive in the early evenings.

4 comments:

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hi Mike, it's good to be back on the air with the modified loop. And yes, I do not use CW very much, and I recognize when you don't do practice, it will be hard. I should practice more. ;-) 73 Paul PC4T

VE9KK said...

Good Saturday afternoon Paul, yes is sure does have a very nice satisfying feeling being on the air again for sure. But as you also agree if the CW rests then one must be back into the practice again.
Have a good weekend Paul.
73 Mike

Bert, PA1B said...

Hello Mike, great to hear the story on the loop and enjoying radio. It's great to be back at the radio after some time. 73, Bert

VE9KK said...

Good morning Bert, yes time seemed to be less and less for radio and more about work. Things have started to slow down at work so now it's time for more radio.
73
Mike